Enhance Bicycle & Pedestrian Safety
Cornell Road should be a safe place for all modes of transportation, especially for bicycles and pedestrians. Increased bicycle and pedestrian traffic should be parallel with the reduction and calming of vehicular traffic. The safety of children should be emphasized in any future improvements.
Some of the discussion topics the CRSC has considered include:
- Enhance safety of Cornell Road crossings, particularly during rush hour and school hours.
- Improve visibility of bicycles and pedestrians for vehicles.
- Reduce vehicle speeds in critical multi-modal use areas.
- Use striping, chevrons and other painted markings to indicate separation and use by both pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Evaluate traffic calming solutions.
- Evaluate potential use of Safe Routes to Schools program where appropriate.
What are your experiences with and suggestions for improving bicycle and pedestrian safety?